Devo 7e The battle is won.

Not knowing when to quit has its advantages. I actually flew several packs tonight, controlling my  E011 with the M.F. Devo 7e.

When we left off, I had removed the stock module entirely in hope to get a look at what was going on underneath. I found several destroyed or entirely missing pads, tried like hell to make them work and almost succeeded...

Today I looked on the other side of the board (front) by peering down between the PCB and the LCD... there were fresh pads under there, but the only way to gt a them was to remove the LCD which was entirely held on by the 20 or so connector pins that attach to the PCB. I tried to heat it up with the soldering iron and heat station but it was really not budging. I slowed down and cleaned each pin with desoldering wick and the vacuum pump the best I could and blasted it (gently) with the rework station for a good long time... the shebang got so hot that the button switches were falling off the front! I had to keep the gun HOT, moving and had to really put some elbow into prying the screen off.







But it came off.


I had my way with the shiny new pads on the other side and installed all of the leads to the module like a pro....

Then I cleaned all of the thru holes for the LCD to be reinstalled with the solder vaccum, it worked REALLY well. The iron is magic. Then I realized that i had to clean the pins better and tried with the wick... then, once I had the pins set I just forced it in there. Again, flux and a hot iron made it really easy.
Later in the  reassembly while wrestling with the module leads I broke the black wire at the module so had to unshrinkwrap it and redo. no sweat, boom. Cover back on, working, binding, flying.





So, NONE of the stock protocols are available, only the ones on the module, and I am sure that for me the Bayang is really gonna be the only useful one. Also, I need to test the range. I damaged the antenna that came with the module and may have to replace it. The whole point of this was better range for the E011.
I am so glad to have a little success here. This project was my first major fuckup in modifying electronic equipment and the equipment in question was hard fought and much anticipated. I wanted to get away from the toy transmitter SO BAD. I walked away and bought a flysky.

I put it in a drawer, but I knew I would come back to it.  I just couldnt let it go. I wanted to outsmart it, and in order to do so I had to connect a lot of dots and learn a bunch of crap. Not to mention getting some better equipment and a bunch of practice and education. Been a real learning experience and the damn thing is an awesome transmitter to boot. Small in the hands and good gimbals. I swear that it has less latency and more stick resolution than the iRangeX on the flysky. Maybe.
Now I have a few things to learn about how to set up expo and dual rates on the Devo.
Fantastic. I wish all who read this have some satisfying success today.







Comments

Popular Posts