DEVO 7e Epic Journey continues.


So, I got a Devo 7e as my first real TX a couple of months ago. The whole point was to install the NRF module and be able to fly E011 FC's. I tried to to it twice, before I realized that you need

1. A hot iron
2. To be able to see what you are doing

The soldering was a fucking mess, and it didnt work. Additionally, I maybe fried the main TX chip in the board, which takes care of all the built in protocols. I tried to undo everything, and it seemed that I had... went back to 4.0.1, had all the old protocols available and none of the new, caound bind to DSM2... But it would lose bind all the time at close range and it was sending weird PPM info out of the back when switched to USBHID. I was frustrated and convinced that I had fried the main chip somehow. Without a baseline of normal function I would never have a chance at installing or further troubleshooting the module.

I wanted to kill. I had done all my normal OCD research and thought about and looked forward to the purchase of this TX, and then I fucked it up. So bummed.



I got myself a Flysky i6 and a module that plugs into the trainer port on the back and I was flying E011's in style... but the range is not good. 30-50M at most outside... thru two walls or one floor inside. The beecore can probably go 300M.

So... Yes E011 Silverized FC's are amazing, but for me the range is a system bottleneck... means buying a new multiprotocol TX($80) or switching away from E011 and heading to Beccore and above from here on out. Whatever,  that aint hapening because I have like 6 E011 FC's, FETS, and flashing harnesses for all of them.

So, either I can save myself $80, and possibly redeem myself as a technician if I can get to use the devo with the module for all of my E011 needs.

SO far I have:
Put it back to stock - all protocols visible
Flashed Nightly - CYRF6936 Missing
Changed "Model1" in models folder (on TX/USB) protocol from DEVO to Bayang
On reboot, CYRF6936 warning appears but can "OK" thru to main menu.

Thats good / confusing. I am getting the impression from my research that if the system has a model loaded that doesnt use a CYRF6936 protocol, it doesnt matter to deviation that the CYRF6936 isnt there at all. (Hopefully disabling the module in software does not turn the pins on the board off.. as we are going to connect the module there) Even if thats not actually the way it works, that is the hack I am going for.

So, I THINK I am at the stage where the firmware is ready...
Gonna go for a resolder tonight.


UPDATE


So, hours later I roll up my sleeves...
Redo or reflow all connections on module and fresh splices/retin all around.
Shrink wrap the whole thing real nice
Solder those MF's on the legs of the chip. Ground and the one next to it wouldnt stick. (at first)
Run the antenna wire, apply gorilla tape there and on the module.
Change A14 to A13 and uncomment the 2 comments.
Fire it up and nothing is different.

comment out the NRF Lines: ALL OF THESE HAVE ASTERISK
none
devo
wk2801
wk2601
wk2401
DSM2
DSMX
j6pro
flysky
AFHDS-2A
Hubsan4
Joysway
Frsky
Frsky-v8
FrskyX
Skyartec
S-FHSS
V202
SLT
HiSky
YD717
SymaX
CFlie
H377
HM830
KN
ESky150
ESky
Bluefly
CX10
CG023
HonTai
FY326
Bayang
H8-3D
MJXq
MT99XX
ASSAN
FQ777
iNAV
Q303
GW008
DM002
PPM
USBHID

UPDATE: Took it out again last night and removed the stock module all together.
The pads were all beat up / missing underneath probably from all the fooling around before.
I soldered directly to the pads, or the tiny little bead theat comes thru the board.
THE PROTOCOLS SHOWED UP.
Upon assembling the connection must have gotten fucked because it was back to not working.
Take apart AGAIN, resolder, working. test 1,2,3, superglue / bakingsoda on connections, test, reassemble, NOT WORKING.
Last chance is getting at the contact from the other side of the board.
I might be done if I cannot get the superglue off (very likely)
I obviously am not capable of giving up gracefully on this.
Why does it keep tempting me? Showing me glimmers of hope and then taking them away... Devo, you are a difficult MF!




In closing this chapter.......
I bet that the CYRF6936 module still works, but was disconnected during the original NRF wrestling match. In turn the new connections didnt take either and additionally I fucked up the pads...
I am gonna try and get at the underside to connect the blue guy later.







Comments

Popular Posts