TECHMAIL! 858D

Ok... bought this the other night while stoned. All the photos had USA plugs on them and this one came from right down the road in NJ, so I figured of course it's 110v...
Re read the listing and freaked. It says 220volts!!! I immediately wrote to the seller, didn't hear anything back until this AM, where they said it's definitely 220 and could I just refuse delivery/refund upon return.

So I did some research about refusing packages and eBay's policy on cancellations which is basically "if you bought it, you bought it." And the USPS is bad enough when you pay, imagine the care that they might take in an unpaid, untraceable return. Further imagine that I am dealing with customer service in China about a sale in New Jersey to which I only have reference a few emails and no proof of return delivery.
I decided to open it, if it has euro or UK plugs I still have a case I thought.
It starts and runs on 110 and has USA plugs.

I have played with it for about 15 min, finding that max temp 450 / lowest fan seems necessary.
It probably isnt really 450.
But I have removed 3 fets, 2nd and third after a little preheating, came off real fast and easy, all legs in tact!




UPDATE: my first FET install.
I am glad I am doing this on an old board. I'm not sure I have the heat setting correct...too hot?


FET reinstall #2... better.
Precise application of solder paste is essential. Need toothpicks!😃

This thing is definitely 110v. I was thinking at first that maybe if it ran 220 plugged into 110 it would function, but would have to be cranked all the way up to function, but after these few tial runs, I think that 450c is probably 450c or something close because I can burn shit at 370c.
I tried to mely really large solder beads on the edge of the board... I think they melted but I couldnt see it and really toasted some nearby microcomponents and actually blew one across the board which you can see in the upper left of the photo below.
I am reading and researching and noone wants to really commit to a temperature, saying that it is size dependent... bigger chip, more heat because you are trying to cover so much area and the gun is moving around so much.

Some dudes say preheat the area to 200c, then crank to 400+ to quickly remove.
I cannot measure the surface temperature so I just have to practice...work out a good temp and then experiment with "preheat distance" vs "going for it" distance.
I am fucking relieved and stoked that this thing is working and that I am not 100 retarded. well...

Comments

Popular Posts