Boss 8 beginnings / New FET SUCCESS!!!!!

Gotta be really careful installing those motors...

on any of these 3D printed frames or the plastic layers come apart/delaminate... judicious use of acetone and gently scraping the insides of the motor mounts with a knife makes it work.

Turns out the motor shafts on 816 motors are 1mm not 0.8mm like I thought... gotta use hubsan sized blades and I have some around because of the Hubsan and the QX90.


It's big! Biggest frame I have, bigger than QX90!






Since this one has solder-on motors, I will refurbish "el original" E011 board (4mo old) It has been stripped down to nothing except the antenna.



Put the 4 new FETS on, wired up the motors and mounted the board. Looks like 3 motors are working correctly... left rear is acting a fool.

Binds, throttles up hard on three motors but doesn't take off...  putting it away for tonight. Might have to try the other board. Plus I forgot to solder on the STLINK plug . This is gonna need a different tune!

UPDATE: UMM.... looks like the RIGHT FRONT motor  is wired backward

I was out having a smoke in the pit and proofreading this post when I realized... (clearly visible below)....standby...




UPDATE 2: YEP WE ARE AIRBORNE !

I reversed those motor wires and SHAZAM!
It LEPT into the air.
In fact it was hard to keep it off the ceiling. This thing is gonna be dangerous. I love the look of those ladybird props, but apparently Hubsans perform better. I have a ton of them, but at the moment I dont need it to perform better. I gotta install a camera, ST LINK plug, and get outside ASAP.

Just look at his beautiful thing!



I am awesome!

I was so delighted, feathering the throttle and watching it jump all over the place to notice that because I was enjoying this spectacle it was proof that I INSTALLED ALL FOUR OF THE NEW FETS PERFECTLY!!!! I am proud!





858D

Thanks to the universe for the fact that I have learned to deal with this hot air tool. I am quite dubious that the temperature readout is anything near accurate because

1. at the time of writing it is the worlds cheapest hot air station @ $23 shipped. <<<BUT>>

2.  It is rated at 220 volts!?!? Yes, in the listing it is, and their customer service confirmed that they think it is 220v, but I think it is performing well above what would be expected if the device was running on half the power. 420c on the readout might not be 420c in reality, but it is hot as fuck. Plenty hot to melt the solder paste in a hurry.

I have no idea what the future will hold for this device after I replace the rest of the FETS on the other E011  board(s)... I think think these FETS blew from an blind bungle of a short circuited soldering of motor pads. A mistake I am not likely to repeat, and Travis said that he has never blown a FET and I imagine that when he is stress testing one of his frame designs that if something bad was going to happen it would have.


SO, allow a small meditation on gratitude for short success in this endeavor, and in getting the Devo going, and for anything else that is going my way.



Comments

Popular Posts